What do you enjoy reading the most here on my blog?

Search My Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dumbledore is Gay.

For those of you who haven't read the Harry Potter series up until the end of Book Seven - I advise you take the title with a grain of salt, as though I'm just some internet jerk who's poking fun at Harry Potter fans. Go on, run along then and maybe pick up the series and put a little magic in your dreary life.

Seriously. Spoilers ahead.

Not joking. Spoileriffic.

Okay, you're been warned.

Yes, Dumbledore is indeed gay. This isn't some introspective nitpickery from re-reading the whole series eleventy times or anything - it's straight from the horse's mouth. Okay, well, the horse's creator's mouth.

J.K. Rowling recently had an interview at Carnegie Hall, answering questions from select people and sweepstakes winners and such. One of the questions was "Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?" I leave you to read the response of Rowling herself:

My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay. [ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extend, but he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying 'I knew a girl once, whose hair'... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, 'Dumbledore's gay!' [laughter] If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!

And then, after a follow-up question that turned out to be thanks for the Dumbledore answer, J.K. Rowling said:

You needed something to keep you going for the next 10 years! Oh, my god, the fan fiction now, eh?

By the way, please spare me the fan-fiction. While I enjoy the thought of steamy romance based on fictional characters and the action they were never scripted to take part in, something is just too unsettling in my mind regarding the minutia of old gay wizard sex. No offense to the homosexuals, or elderly, or wizards (I suppose) - but I really would prefer not to read about it.

So what other awe-inspiring things were revealed by the author regarding her seven books and what things transpired before and after the stories themselves?

Neville finds love.

Hagrid does not.

Secrets are finally revealed about Dumbledore's brother and the "inappropriate charms" he used on a goat.

Petunia wanted to be a witch.

Yes, Death Eaters were a lot like German Nazis.

Sorry, the wizarding world doesn't employ werewolves.

Oh, and Snape? There's discussion about Snape.

You'll probably have to read the article to find out about all of those things. I just thought I needed to pass along this information to my fellow Potter fans who might not have been aware of this revelation at Carnegie Hall (as I had not been, until I read it on Fark and had to click the link to see if it was true, or just some internet jerk who might as been poking fun at Harry Potter fans, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post).

So read, enjoy, and if you feel like waiting around for the flood of Dumbledore-based fanfiction, be my guest.

You're just not getting any of it from me.

(The "J.K. Rowling at Carnegie Hall" Transcripts)

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

I did read this yesterday myself.
I found you via wordvixen, and I gotta say as a near carnivore, I love your blog title.